Chic Art on the Cheap!

Even though I want to make this blog about my family and my life, it's fun to break it up every once in a while with something different. So, I decided to feature a recent craft/art project that I completed a couple of weeks ago for our living room.

Has anyone ever heard of Ballard Designs? Well, they have gorgeous furniture, art, linens, and so on. The catch is, however, is that it's really EXPENSIVE! That doesn't stop ME from creating my own version of some of their art!

Like this wall art by Ballard Designs? I did...but it's $149.00! Who has that kind of money for art or wants to spend that much? Not me. So I created my own version of this! AND, it only cost me $25!

*Please note: the photo above is only half the art I created. The other four boards are on the other side of this window...I just didn't take a picture of those!

It was really simple to do. This is what I used, and what you will need if you create your own:
* 8 sheets of 12x12 scrapbook paper with colors that coordinate with your room. (My layout is different than the Ballard Designs version because I only had space for 4 boards on each side of my living room window. You can create your own unique layout for your space!)
* Spray adhesive
*Spray paint (in a color that coordinates with the paper)
*MDF Shelving (I bought an 8 ft. piece because I needed 8 boards at 12 inches width each. AND, if you don't have a circular saw or someone to cut it for you, DON'T FRET! Home Depot will cut it for you!)
*Picture hooks and wall hooks
Step 1: Take your 8 boards (or however many you have decided to do) and spray the all the edges with the spray paint. Let dry...obviously. You may have to do several coats because it soaks really well into the MDF.

Step 2: One by one, spray each board with the adhesive glue and then smooth on your paper. Let dry!

Step 3: Attach the picture hooks to the back of each one. (This was the most difficult part for me for some reason. I had to get help.)

Step 4: Measure your wall and make marks for hanging your boards...then put your wall hooks in!

Step 5: Hang your art! Step back and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. COOL!!! I love this look and would never have it if it came with a price tag of $149. I'm so going to Michael's to check out their selection of scrapbook paper!

    ReplyDelete