The A Word

We knew it was coming, but we just tried to ignore it. At Easton’s three-year checkup on Feb. 10, his doctor expressed to us that he thinks Easton might be autistic. Are you serious? We know Easton has been a little slow to talk and has some quirky habits, but hearing the word autism associated with my son is devastating.

I held myself together during the rest of the checkup, but when I got to the car, I was drowning in my own tears. Why was this happening to our son? Why do we have to go through this? This SUCKS!!!

I poured my heart out to my mom and then my dad as I drove back to work. I hung up on Johnathan, for some reason, when he called, but then I called him back and apologized. He knew I was really upset.

I cried in front of my boss when I got back to work, and then I finally collected my emotions about 2 hours after the A word was mentioned.

The A word? I can say it…Autism. We will get through it. It will be hard, but I know we can do it! We don’t love our little boy any less or any different. We will just love him even more than we already do!

He goes for different evaluations in the next few weeks—speech, occupational, hearing and autism—so we will soon know what we need to do to help our little man be the person he was meant to be.

5 comments:

  1. Lauren, I am so glad you joined the blogging world! I will definitely be praying for you and your family! Have you evaluated your sons diet? I have a friend with a son with similar symptons that you mentioned and changing his diet to completely organic snacks, fruits, veggies and meat ect...has changed his life dramatically! Stay strong and know that God never gives you anything you cannot handle or get through with his help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a determined, strong young woman
    and I know you will work hard to get the best
    help for our precious boy. We love you and
    will support you, "Warrior Mom."
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, we will be praying for your and your family. I have met a few people going through similar situations, it will get better.

    Kylelyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this quote after reading your blog...
    "No one knows how children will turn out; a great tree often springs from a tender plant."
    -Norwegian proverb
    I know you are worried (it's your job as a mother to worry), but remember that Easton is the same sweet little boy this week that he was last week; and next week, he will be even sweeter! I'm sure his uncle Jeremy will make sure of that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you created this blog so all your friends can post here and hopefully help you out some, even if just words of comfort! If I can figure out how to subscribe where my name pops up, I will! Easton is such an adorable little boy, and you guys are such a loving family, I know you will get him the help he needs. Do you think you'll get a second opinion, just in case??? Cindy

    ReplyDelete